Home                  <<Previous     Seven Cities   Next>>

Firozabad and Hauz Khas

Tour 11th October 2006

Guides: Joanna, Staci, Tracy and Jaana

 

In 1351 when the founder of Jahanpanah, Mohammad bin Tughlak died the Delhi Sultanate passed to his nephew Firoz Shah.  It appears that Firoz was a more peaceful and scholarly than his Uncle.  His rule was a period of learning, building and restoration.  There are pockets of ruins of buildings from his time and an area around Firoz Shah Kolta is loosely regarded as Firozabad.  Contemporary writings tend to indicate that the Kolta was more of a court residence and that other nobles built suburbs about it, whilst the real governmental activities of Delhi still took place within Jahanpanah.  As well as building his new palace he also carried out much restoration of buildings from earlier periods.  These included the Qutab Minar, where he repaired two storeys of the tower and the Hauz Khas water tank created by Ala-ud-din Khalji in 1295. 

As the sites are rather spread out the tour concentrated on the area about the water tank now known as Hauz Khas Village. The village has become a small shopping area filled with art galleries and boutique shops, but a small step on and the ruins of a madrassa and Firoz Shah's tomb sit looking over the remains of the water tank.

 

This shot was taken from one end of the L-shaped site. Firoz Shah's tomb is the tall domed structure at the corner, the two wings either side formed the madrassa.

 

Near the trees you can see the water in the edge of the tank and yes it is green!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Firoz restored the tank which had become silted up the water came up to madrassa's walls and was probably over twice the size that the tank is now.

 

Looking in the opposite direction taken from the madrassa near the tomb.  The fountains are supposed to oxygenate the water in the tank.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The men in the water are in the process of cleaning the tank.  Very little debris is in the water but the green algae probably grows so well as it is believed that sewage from a near by treatment centre seeps in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Most of the madrassa was built with two floors.  The lower floor was for dormitories of small cells no more than about 2 m by 1.5 m in size.  The upper floors consisted of larger rooms that were probably for meetings and teaching.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The grounds of the madrassa were famed for their gardens and tranquil setting.  Still in the grounds are these three larger structures, possibly tombs or just pavilions to sit within or study.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home                  <<Previous     Seven Cities   Next>>