Home         Indian Trips           <<Previous       Deccan Odyssey      Next>>

Daulatabad Fort

From the station we took a bus the short distance to Daulatabad Fort.  There is evidence of settlements in the area since 1BC but the fort and city were first started around 1180 and was to become a centre of power struggles in the Deccan between Northern Mughal Rulers and the Hindu Rulers of Southern and Central India over the next few centuries.

The fort is positioned on a natural granite hill overlooking the Deccan Plains, but its sides were cut back to create a sheer face of about 50m. It also has a moat around the hill, four sets of walls extend further out providing many levels of defence.  Within the walls the city and fort buildings incorporated narrow accesses and sudden turns behind gates to confuse and restrict invaders.  There were many sieges around the fort but it is said never to have fallen in battle.  However there are tales of invaders breaching the fort by bribing guards.

A view of the fort and hill from the bus, we nicknames it the muffin hill.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The fort was originally known as Devagiri, 'Hill of the Gods'.  The first Delhi Sultan to capture the fort was Aliddin Khilji in 1296, he was later followed by Mohammad Tughluq.  Tughluq even decided to base his capital here and it was he who changed the name to Daulatabad or 'City of Fortune'  However he rather misguidedly only gave the citizens of Delhi a few days notice when he decided to set them off on the 1100 km march south to he new capital.  Not surprisingly many died en-route and eventually after a few years he returned north.

The fort changed hands many time after that but it is not clear when it fell into general disuse.

 

Part of the outer walls that run for about 5 miles around the hill.  On top is the highest pavilion of the fort.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As you start walking into the grounds of the fort one of the first things you see is The Chand Minar.  This is a victory tower built in 1435 by Alauddin Bahamani to celebrate his capture of the fort.  It was once covered in Persian tiles and would have shimmered like a beacon in the sunlight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Near the tower was a water tank that would have provided supplies to the residents of the fort.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home         Indian Trips           <<Previous       Deccan Odyssey      Next>>